You have probably seen or encountered the PLC or programmable logic controller beforehand. However, you did not know what it is and how it works, which made you think that it is just a place that controls the electricity.
That is not the case, because PLCs are essential tools that are common in wide array of industry sectors. Since they are still popular for automation control, learning everything about them can help you improve your career and reach a more prominent situation.
This particular guide: https://www.wikihow.com/Design-and-Run-Simple-Ladder-Diagram-of-Industrial-Garage-Door-Opener-Using-RSLogix-5000 will help you create a ladder diagram program for your convenience.
Generally, the programmable logic controller is the computer device that uses to control the industrial system automation. It is both a helpful and versatile tool that will affect every single industry so that you can use it in numerous applications along the way.
For instance, it is a common choice for manufacturing lines, conveyor systems, oil refineries and many other common things around us.
Have in mind that, PLC is a tool that will provide you the more versatile and flexible way to connect numerous pieces of a system to make it work simultaneously and automatically without any additional problem.
Similarly, as common computers, each PLC requires a computer processor that will gather the information from inputs and convert them into already-programmed outputs.
You can program them in numerous ways, and the main benefit of various languages, include the ability to fit them and modify them for various applications across the industry.
For instance, if you have a light bulb and a light switch in front of you, as soon as you flick the switch, the light will automatically turn off and on based on your preferences.
However, if you implement the programmable logic controller inside these two applications, you will be able to make the system much more complex than it was.
For instance, you can make the light switch blink, or turn it off for half a minute before it turns on. You can also implement other modifications that would help you improve the efficiency of different applications you are using during the manufacturing process.
How Does A Programmable Logic Controller Function?
If you do not understand the process of programming and computers, you can rest assured. The main reason for that is that you will be able to learn the basic features that you will get with this particular device.
To simplify everything in front of you, using the programmable logic controller means that you will accept the inputs from various sources. Later, it will implement them inside the programming to create relevant outputs based on your programming and needs.
Therefore, you will get the ability to handle the complex production system by following the initial (input) and final (output) process, and so on. Learn more about Ladder Logic so that you can determine whether you should start practicing it or not.
The best way to understand the efficiency of programmable logic controllers is to understand that they are more specialized and smaller computers than the ones you own a household. That is why they share similar terminology and language as general PCs.
Of course, you know that your PC comes with CPU or central processing unit, software, memory, ability to communicate and many more. However, the major difference between PCs and PLCs is the use.
For instance, the main idea of a personal computer is that you can use it within your household. PLC is perfect for the industrial world, which means that it requires direct inputs and outputs.
Essential Components of PLC
- Rack and Power Supply – You should have in mind that these two components would give your PLC the ability to run and to power the entire system. Therefore, the rack is the framework that features all other components inside. At the same time, it combines with other houses to create efficiency between various components required for the entire process.
- The CPU (Processor) – The processor is the brain of the programmable logic controller. It is the part of it that includes all programming. Therefore, it will instruct other devices on how to act. Without the properly functioning CPU, you will not be able to operate the PLC, similarly as the body without a brain. Remember that this particular part features smaller components that work together to provide both instructions and information all across the unit. We are talking about microprocessor, memory chip as well as circuitry network that will run everything, as it should.
- The Input/output – You should have in mind that this particular part of the system is the one that accepts the information from the external source into the processor. Therefore, as a result, it reaches the output. It requires the physical connection between the various equipment and PLC. That is the main reason why both inputs and outputs require a cable connection to the PLC, which will vary, based on the things you wish to connect in the first place.
What Is PLC Programming?
- The Operating System – The OS will control all functions that the CPU can handle. However, these controls are not related to output and input. Generally, the OS will control the operations you will not be able to see, but it is still vital for it to work properly. We are talking about functions such as memory, updates, and restarts and establishing a stable connection with input and output devices.
- The User Program – Finally, you will get the function that will process all inputs and lead them into outputs. It is the part of the PLC that you can control, which will allow you to determine the efficiency of outputs based on the input devices.